"In fact, the very act of contemplating change can fill people with worries about perceived obstacles. Sometimes after people have experienced that initial feeling of excitement about their ideal futures, they immediately lose it again, frustrated because they aren't already living that dream today. That's when remembering the brain's role in feeling can help... it's the activation of the left prefrontal cortex that gives us a motivating hope, by letting us imagine how great we'll feel the day we reach the goal of our ideal. That's what spurs us on, despite obstacles. Conversely, if we fixate on what's in our way-- rather than on the powerful image of our ideal life-- we presumably activate the right prefrontal area and are plunged into a pessimistic view that demotivates us and can
actually hinder our success" (p.117).
I find this simply fascinating and so incredibly encouraging. I absolutely love that we have a choice in this. And I couldn't help but be reminded of a related exhortation: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Which, p.s., is prefaced by this gem: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
As one of those people who is constantly trying to figure out what could go wrong so I can avoid those scenarios, this was a lightbulb switching on over my head moment. I'm going to focus on the positive, on the dream, on the potential and let my left prefrontal cortex drive me forward.
Which, p.s., is prefaced by this gem: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
As one of those people who is constantly trying to figure out what could go wrong so I can avoid those scenarios, this was a lightbulb switching on over my head moment. I'm going to focus on the positive, on the dream, on the potential and let my left prefrontal cortex drive me forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment